Center of Excellence for Neurodegenerative disorders
Biomarkers and personalized neurodegenerative medecine
Since June 2015, the University Hospital of Montpellier in association with the University of Montpellier is one of the CoEN initiative's "centers of excellence"
The overall aim of the initiative is to build collaborative research activity in neurodegeneration research across borders, focusing on the critical mass and excellence.
The first phase of the initiative involved a call for proposals for pilot projects involving Centres of Excellence in several countries. Eight collaborative projects totalling £3.7m (€4.6m) were funded, including research projects which spanned the development of new disease models, the identification of biomarkers and the harmonization of methodologies for clinical studies.
Originally agreed in 2010 between Canada (CIHR), Germany (DZNE) and the UK (MRC), the program was later joined by Belgium (VIB Flanders), Ireland (HRB, SFI), the Italy (MDS), Spain (Instituto de Salud Carlos III), Slovak Republic (Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport.
In France, the French National Research Agency (ANR) ensures the financing, monitoring and support of projects. This public organisation, under the authority of the French Ministry of Research, provides funds for research in all fields of science in public research organizations and universities, and private companies.
By promoting creativity, facilitating European and international collaborations and fostering new ideas and partnerships, particularly between universities and industry, its activity contributes to improving the competitiveness and influence of French research in Europe and the world.
French excellence centers involved in research in the field of neurodegenerative diseases
- Bordeaux : Bordeaux Initiative for Neurodegenerative Disease (BIND), Bordeaux University
- Grenoble : GREnoble Excellence in Neurodegeneration (GREEN), University Grenoble Alpes, Université Grenoble-Alpes
- Lille : LIlle Centre of Excellence for Neurodegenerative Diseases (LICEND), Université de Lille
- Aix-Marseille : DHUNE-CE / DHUNE, Aix-Marseille University
- Montpellier : Center Of Excellence in Neurodegenerative diseases (CoEN), Montpellier University Hospital
- Paris : Salpêtrière Center for Translational Research on Neurodegenerative Disorders, INSERM,
- Toulouse : Toulouse Neuro-Degenerative Center (NeuroToul), CHU de Toulouse